Manassas Reckless Driving Lawyer
In Virginia, reckless driving charges are serious. If you suddenly find yourself charged, it is imperative that you consult a Manassas reckless driving lawyer immediately to learn how you can avoid a criminal record, high fines, and possible jail time. Even if you’re an out-of-state driver simply passing through Virginia, a Manassas defense lawyer can help.
Reckless driving is a class 1 Misdemeanor in Virginia, the same classification of crime as DUI or assault. Those convicted of reckless driving could also have their license suspended or seriously restricted for up to six months, and possibly longer if it is not their first offense. All of these consequences illustrate why it is very important to seek the counsel of an experienced Manassas reckless driving lawyer to help with your defense.
What a Reckless Driving Attorney Can Do for You
There’s no reason to panic if you’re charged with reckless driving as long as you immediately contact a Manassas reckless driving lawyer. The attorneys at our firm have a great deal of experience handling cases like yours, and we’re equipped with the local knowledge and legal savvy necessary to obtain a favorable outcome for your case.
In addition to representing you in court and dealing with any necessary filing and paperwork, your Manassas reckless driving attorney can:
- Coach you on how to prepare for your court date to present a positive view of yourself and your case
- Dispute any exaggerated testimony or questionable evidence presented by the prosecution to ensure that you are treated fairly
- Appear in court on your behalf if you happen to live in another state
These are just some of the benefits of hiring an experienced Manassas reckless driving lawyer. To learn more, call today.
What Is Reckless Driving?
Reckless driving is an umbrella term for any vehicular action on the part of a driver that poses a serious risk to the safety or property of others. Just some of the actions that can be classified as reckless driving in Manassas include failure to properly signal, passing an emergency vehicle or school bus with its warning lights activated, excessive speeding, and racing [Virginia Criminal Codes 46.2-852 – 46.2-865)].
Those who are convicted face a jail sentence of up to 12 months and a fine as high $2,500. If an individual is convicted of a first-time offense but has a clean driving record, he or she could receive a jail sentence that is partly or entirely suspended, and the possibility of a more reasonable fine.
Any person convicted of reckless driving will also have six demerit points added to his or her Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (VDMV) driving record, where they remain for 11 years.
Other Reckless Driving Penalties
- Driving without a valid driver’s license (this includes driving with a suspended or revoked license) and causing the death of another when driving recklessly is a class 6 felony [VA Code 46.2-868(B)], and a conviction brings a sentence of one to five years in prison or a discretionary reduction to 12 months in jail, as well as a possible $2,500 fine [VA Code 18.2-10(f)].
- If an individual is found to have been using a handheld device when they were driving recklessly (or caused an accident) [VA Code 46.2-1078.1], a $250 fine is added to the conviction [VA Code 46.2-868(C)]. And since some reckless driving charges are based on primarily a police officer’s subjective observations, it is not unusual when anyone who causes an accident while operating a handheld device is charged with reckless driving, and the mobile device violation becomes an enhancement (additional) penalty.
If you are unable to make your court date, your Manassas reckless driving attorney can in some cases appear at your hearing on your behalf to argue your case or negotiate a plea agreement. In these instances, it is important to note that you are still obligated to fulfill all sentencing conditions of any conviction or the plea agreement that Manassas reckless driving lawyer negotiates on your behalf.
Call Today to Speak With a Manassas Reckless Driving Attorney
With all the possible ramifications of a reckless driving conviction, those who face these charges are wise to retain an experienced Manassas reckless driving lawyer to help them retain their driving privileges. Call today to learn more information on the specifics of your case.